PA100-D Cable for Auto Band Detect

General discussion

PA100-D Cable for Auto Band Detect

Postby OE9DGV » 07 Apr 2017 20:42

I`m searching for such a cable to use with a KX3 and/or a FT-817. Any suggestions, where to get or how to configure it?
My second question: Is it possible to use the cat cable from the KX3 with the PA100-D?

Thanks for helping, 73 de Guntram oe9dgv.
OE9DGV

Re: PA100-D Cable for Auto Band Detect

Postby 5B4AIY » 09 Apr 2017 06:34

It is quite straightforward to get the PA-100D to automatically change bands when operating with the KX3 or the FT-817. There are two basic methods:

1. FREQENCY SENSE
Select the F-SENSE mode in the User Configuration menu. With this mode selected the PA-100D will measure the frequency of the incoming RF drive signal, and will select the appropriate band accordingly. This mode is provided by the original firmware, and requires no other changes. Moreover, since the driving transceiver's serial port is not used, it can still be connected to a computer running a logging or CAT program.

2. KX3 MODE
This mode is only available using my firmware, and with this selected, the PA-100D will poll the KX3 for its current band, and select accordingly. As it ties up the serial port of the KX3, this would ordinarily preclude simultaneous CAT operation, but by using a 'Y' cable and sending only the KX3's transmit data to the PA-100D, then both CAT operation and auto band detection is possible.

There is another auto-band detect mode, the FT-817 mode, that is available in both the original and my firmware. This mode utilises the stepped DC voltage available from the transceiver to indicate the selected band. You will need an 8-pin mini-DIN plug and make a cable to connect to the ACC socket on the rear of the FT-817, with a 3.5mm stereo plug on the other end to connect to the BAND socket on the rear of the PA-100D.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Re: PA100-D Cable for Auto Band Detect

Postby OE9DGV » 11 Apr 2017 21:05

Ok Adrian, I understand. The easyest way is the frequency Sense mode. Otherwise I will look, if I can figure such a Y-cable for my K3X.
Thank you for the help, 73 Guntram oe9dgv.
OE9DGV

Return to Juma Discussion