Which software version next?

General discussion

Which software version next?

Postby OH2NOS » 11 Mar 2014 08:22

Hi!

I assembled own Juma two years ago and have used it very satisfied. So far I have used cw only, but now couple of time tested ssb also. With ssb I have met problems time to time because SWR seems to be too high (even it is not) and output goes down. Then I remembered that somebody spoke about this kind of software problem in these pages and Adrian’s software updates should fix this.

Let me know which version should be most appropriate for old school boy? I am familiar with this original version and I have understood that Adrian has made lot of modifications for the original version. Based on last posts version TRX-2 v1.010h seems to be last fully error free version (this statement based on Laurent’s F6DEX testimony, 09032014 at 18:20). Where can I find documentation of new versions (development related to original version)?

Generally I am very satisfied to Juma. As a member of SOTA Community (http://www.sota.org.uk/) I have kept qsos to NA and Australia with 10 W. Longest qsos (15.000 km) have been with VK2DAG both cw and ssb. :D

73, Saku OH2NOS
OH2NOS

Re: Which software version next?

Postby 5B4AIY » 11 Mar 2014 15:02

Hi, Saku,

You are more than welcome to try my latest software for the Juma, and, if you do not like it, then you can always go back to the original whenever you like. As for 1.10h being 'the last error free version' this causes me some amusement, no complex piece of software is ever completely error free, there's always one more bug! If you think it's bug-free, it's simply because you haven't discovered it yet!

You only have to examine the Microsoft Windows system to see that. You would think that after more than 20 years of the Windows operating system MS would have managed to write an error-free version by now, but no, it is still riddled with bugs, and, rather than fix the existing code they simply issue a 'brand new' version which changes the user interface, meaning we have to re-learn how to use it, and every week there will be yet another set of patches and fixes until it too is replaced by yet another triumph of fashion over function.

In the case of my firmware you can be assured that if I, or any other user discovers a bug, then I will do my best to fix it as quickly as possible. In the case of the one discovered recently, the fix was implemented and uploaded within a few hours of being discovered, so, do not worry, I'm not going to abandon the Juma community.

As for your SWR problem, that may well be a hardware problem rather than software, but I can help with that as well, as I have been providing hardware support now for the past couple of years, and, again, the Juma community is always here to help. So, go ahead, try my firmware, it comes with a complete User Manual describing all the features and how to use them, and, if you really don't like it, then restore the original.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Postby OH2NOS » 16 Mar 2014 18:28

Hi Adrian!

Thank you for your quick answer. I have been so busy that I have not had time for answering so far. You are fully right and I old fashion! :D

I have already agreed with one hammate that he helps me uploading the new software which you shared for me. When the case is closed I will give feedback!

73, Saku OH2NOS
OH2NOS

Postby ok1rp » 21 May 2014 20:42

Hi all,

is there any new s/w revision for our RX1 please?

73 - Petr, OK1RP
ok1rp

Postby 5B4AIY » 23 May 2014 06:29

Hi, Petr,
I did extensively modify the software for the Juma TRX-1, but I have not attempted to port the receiver code to the RX-1. It would certainly be possible, but, as I do not have a RX-1 on which to develop the code, I would have to modify it 'blind' and then look for someone to try it out and help refine it. That would be an extremely tedious and slow business.

You are welcome to take my TRX-1 code and modify it and load it into your RX-1, it should not be too difficult a job.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Postby ok1rp » 25 Jul 2014 08:50

Adrian,

many thanks for all kind help and support. I am focusing now more on the TRX-1 s/w releases as I am awaiting it soon for our kids radioclub.
We would like to learn more about the SDR, s/w driven radios. So I will be happy to know about the new releases for this tcvr. Also we can offer our help with testing it intensively as we will have this radio as main.

Best regards Adrian,

73 - Petr, OK1RP
Radioclub OK1RCG
ok1rp

Return to Juma Discussion