Juma TRX-2 v1.10k

Software developed by Adrian

Juma TRX-2 v1.10k

Postby 5B4AIY » 06 Mar 2014 07:23

This version of the firmware, v1.10k Build 4, fixes a major bug spotted for me by Laurent Labourie, and modifies the way certain functions operate from the user interface.

BUG FIX
When using the W command in the TRX-2 protocol an Address Trap error was provoked. This was caused by a typographical error, and has now been fixed. My apologies, despite many regression tests, this bug managed to sneak through. To everyone who has loaded this or an earlier version, please update to this new version.

I had received a couple of requests from some US amateurs who found the 'two-handed' operation of certain functions difficult as they had mobility issues. Consequently I decided to modify these functions so that the transceiver operation is now completely one-handed. The following function operations are changed:

Rapid Band Switch
Previously, you would have had to press and hold the RIT button, rotate the VFO knob to select a band, then release the button. With this version of the firmware, press the RIT button until the long beep sounds and the band-select screen appears, and then release the button to latch the display. Rotate the VFO knob to select a band, and then briefly press either the RIT button or the PWR button to exit. Whilst the display is latched you will hear a short warning beep every 500mS to remind you that the function is latched.

VFO Memory Copy
Press and hold the MODE button until the long beep sounds and the VFO copy screen appears. Release the MODE button and rotate the VFO knob clockwise to copy from the active VFO to a selectable memory, or anti-clockwise to copy from a selectable VFO memory to the active VFO. To exit, briefly press either the MODE or the PWR button. A warning beep will be heard to remind you that the function is latched.

VFO Select
If you are using the VFO Multi-Memory mode rather than the A + B (Split) mode, then press and hold the VFO button until the long beep is heard. Rotate the VFO knob to select the desired VFO from the 26 memories. Since there is no explicit display screen for this mode, the warning beep serves to remind you that this is a latched mode. Briefly press either the VFO or the PWR button to exit with the selected memory as the active VFO.

Fast Page Select
In either the User Configuration or System Calibration & Setup menus, to use the Fast Page Select feature, press and hold the MODE button until the long beep sounds, and then release the button. Once again, there is no explicit display, so the warning beep is there to remind you that this is a latched display mode. Rotate the VFO knob to select the desired page. To exit, briefly press either the MODE or the PWR button, and then use the VFO knob to edit the parameter in the usual way.

Band Attenuator
In the previous firmware this was almost a 3-handed operation! Now, ensure the transceiver is connected to an antenna or a dummy load, and select the amateur band whose attenuator value you wish to adjust. Set the mode to TUNE, and press and hold the PTT switch. Briefly press the PWR button to latch the display. The warning beep will sound to remind you. Rotate the VFO knob to select the desired attenuation value from 0dB to 3dB. To exit and save this setting, release the PTT switch. The full alarm checks are now also in operation in this mode, and if an alarm should occur, the LCD will clear and the alarm message displayed, but the selected attenuator setting will not be saved.

There are no EEPROM changes, so this version can be safely loaded over a previous 1.09 or later version. If you are updating from an earlier version, then make a note of your current calibration and configuration settings prior to the upgrade as there will be a checksum error on initial power-up as the EEPROM mapping is different. Equally, if you are updating from an original firmware version, then you will also have to re-calibrate as the measurement system is different, and the initial checksum error will force the default values to be loaded.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
Attachments
Juma TRX-2 v1.10k Build 4 (C-Source+HEX Load File+User Manual).zip
BUG FIX! Fixed Address Trap Error.
(426.96 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
Last edited by 5B4AIY on 10 Mar 2014 17:44, edited 2 times in total.
5B4AIY

Re: Juma TRX-2 v1.10k

Postby F6DEX » 09 Mar 2014 18:20

Adrian

I sent you a direct message but in case of you don't receive it...

With this new firmware, I have an "adress trap" error when I attempt to change the filter bandwidth (using the JUMA protcol).
I was obliged to reverse to 1.010h to make it working.

Also, the new band switch (with RIT button) does not work if you are in Split.

Thank you for your efforts !

73, Laurent F6DEX
F6DEX

Postby 5B4AIY » 10 Mar 2014 17:02

Hi, Laurent, many thanks for spotting this bug! It has now been fixed in Build 4.

The Rapid Band Switch function is deliberately inhibited when the Split mode is selected. To use this feature, select either VFO-A or VFO-B and then use the RBS to select a band. My reason for inhibiting RBS when the Split mode is selected is that I considered that it was highly inadvisable to change bands when the transmit and receive frequencies were not the same. In previous firmware releases, it was possible for the VFO-A and VFO-B frequencies to be on different bands in the Split mode, making band changes even more problematical. Now that I have implemented a check so that when the band is switched if the two VFOs are not on the same band, then their frequencies are equalised there is less of a reason to inhibit the RBS when in the Split mode. If there is sufficient demand/interest, I will enable this feature even in the Split mode.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Postby F6DEX » 10 Mar 2014 18:10

HI Adrian,

The build 4 works perfectly.

No I don't think changing bands while in Split is important.

I see that during computer control, this is permitted and this allows cross-band operation. Cross band is absolutely not useful but I don't think you have to change anything to equalize the VFO in that case since it may be confusing for the software especially while using a non-juma protocol.

Thank you for all, Laurent.
F6DEX

Return to Juma Firmware by 5B4AIY