Juma PA-100D Firmware Update

General discussion

Juma PA-100D Firmware Update

Postby 5B4AIY » 07 May 2020 11:29

There is now a new version of the firmware for the Juma PA-100D linear amplifier, version 4.00a Build 4. This new version adds some additional features. The amplifier can now communicate with a transceiver using the Yaesu 5-Byte Binary command protocol. The Low-Voltage Pre-Limit warning threshold is now user adjustable. There is a Manual Band Select mode as well as the fully automatic modes. In addition, there have been some minor 'tweaks' to the default calibration and configuration values, as well as an adjustment to the output filter switchover frequencies so that they now coincide with those of the Juma TRX-2. Also a very minor bug has been fixed. When dumping the amplifier's calibration and configuration settings I noticed that if the High or Low voltage alarms were disabled, this was not correctly reflected in the printout, this has been fixed.

NOTE: THIS VERSION USES AN ADDITIONAL WORD OF EEPROM MEMORY, AND THEREFORE THE INTERNAL MEMORY MAP HAS CHANGED. THIS WILL CAUSE A CHECKSUM ERROR ON INITIAL POWER-UP AFTER LOADING THIS NEW VERSION. MAKE A NOTE OF YOUR EXISTING CALIBRATION AND CONFIGURATION SETTINGS BEFORE LOADING!

There are pages at the back of the User Manual specifically for this data. This Checksum Error only occurs once on initial power up after updating.

Even though the kits for this amplifier have been discontinued, I will continue to provide software and hardware support for the foreseeable future.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Re: Juma PA-100D Firmware Update

Postby KJ4ZMP » 26 Dec 2020 17:51

Hi Adrian,

I am not sure if you addressed this, but can you help in getting the bootloader working on a windows 10 pc? I get missing DLL errors. I am not sure where to get the DLLs or where to put them.

BTW Thanks for all the great work. Have a great 2021!

73 Gary KJ4ZMP
KJ4ZMP

Postby KJ4ZMP » 27 Dec 2020 00:46

I actually found great instructions on the PA1000 pages. I will start a separate thread.

73 KJ4ZMP
KJ4ZMP

Postby YO6TJJ » 31 Aug 2021 11:07

Hi Adrian,

Would it be possible to implement the communication protocol for ELAD FDM-DUO TRX in the firmware?

I've done a bit of research and it seems that the ELAD TRX is using UART communication and it can be connected via the serial interface, but it does not accept the TRX2 commands (obviously :D ).

Bellow is the information that I've found:
https://www.eladit.com/en/download?path=sdr%2FFDM-DUO

the file ELAD FDM-DUO - EXTIO Serial Protocol - 2017-09-08.pdf contains relevant data and also the user manual contains some more information about how to communicate with the TRX.

Thank you.
--
Best Regards,

YO6TJJ - Andrei AVIRVAREI
Founder

roWaves Technologies
VAT ID: RO41413136
Phone: +40 742 85 41 85
Web: https://rowaves.com/
Address: Str.Prof.Onisifor Ghibu|No.1|Sibiu |ROMANIA
YO6TJJ

Postby 5B4AIY » 01 Sep 2021 13:55

Hi Andrei,
I am not quite sure what you would like, so let me see if I understand you. It would seem that you would like the PA-100D to be capable of being controlled from the Elad FDM-DUO both for transmit/receive switching, as well as automatic band selection. That being the case there are two possibilities here. (Fortunately I have an Elad FDM-DUO, so I can experiment.)

1. HARDWARE
To switch the amplifier into transmit, it is only necessary to ground the T/R line on the rear panel. On the rear panel of the Elad FDM-DUO there is a 3.5mm PTT-OUT socket. By connecting a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead between the ELAD PTT-OUT socket and the PA-100D T/R socket will cause the PA-100D to go into TRANSMIT whenever the ELAD FDM-DUO goes into TRANSMIT. IMPORTANT NOTE The PA-100D repeats the PTT input signal on the ring connection of the stereo plug, and as the ELAD FDM-DUO uses the ring connection internally, you will need to make a special lead that uses a 3.5mm stereo plug at each end but only connects the tip to tip connection and the screen to screen connection. Failure to heed this warning might damage either the ELAD or the PA-100D. Also, DO NOT USE A MONO PLUG AND LEAD! This will damage the amplifier and the Elad FDM-DUO! Note also that in order to ensure that the amplifier has completed switching, to give time for the relays in the PA-100D to settle, you will need to set the PTT Delay in the ELAD FDM-DUO to something other than the default of 0mSec, and I would start with 50mSec, and work downward.

2. AUTOMATIC BAND SELECTION
The PA-100D can be set to use the Frequency Sense mode of operation whereby it measures the frequency of the RF drive signal, and selects the appropriate band. Alternatively, if you connect the accessory Elad SERIAl I/O adaptor you can use the Yaesu-compatible band voltage available on this adaptor, or you can use the RS-232 port and communicate via the ASCII protocol. In this case, set the PA-100D mode to the KX3 setting, and this uses exactly the same command sequences for band selection as the ELAD FDM-DUO.

3. FIRMWARE
The PA-100D already uses the ASCII command protocol, and as the ELAD FDM-DUO responds to this, the standard frequency query command ( FA; ) from the PA-100D will cause the ELAD FDM-DUO to respond with its VFO-A frequency in the format: FA00012345678; for example to indicate a frequency of 12345678Hz, or 12.345678MHz. This is exactly the same as many other transceivers including the Elecraft KX3, so setting the RS-232 mode of the PA-100D to the KX3 mode will allow correct operation.

Consequently, even as it stands, without any hardware or firmware modifications, and without using the ELAD Serial Interface, the PA-100D will work perfectly well with the ELAD FDM-DUO. If you wish to use the serial port to communicate with the amplifier then you can do this one of two ways. The first is via the ELAD Serial I/O adaptor which gives you a RS-232 serial port but only operating at 38.4KBaud, nevertheless the PA-100D firmware can accommodate this speed. The second way, with which I have been experimenting lately, is to build a 'reverse USB Host' interface, and connect this to the rear panel B CAT socket on the ELAD FDM-DUO. This will then allow you to operate at any serial speed. If you contact me via my email address I can give you further details. My email is: adrian04@cytanet.com.cy

Hopefully I have answered your query.
Regards,
Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Return to Juma Discussion