New to me TRX2 - Advice needed regarding updates

General discussion

New to me TRX2 - Advice needed regarding updates

Postby NE7EE » 07 Aug 2019 22:16

I am the proud new owner of a second-hand TRX2. From what I can see is that my radio is built on the Rev "B" board and the Firmware shows Version 1.05. This radio most likely was sitting in a closet for a long time and has not received any updates. Since there have been so many updates to the firmware, I wanted to ask for advice on how to get this radio up to date. Can I update and jump to the most recent firmware, or will the updates need to be made in sequence?

I also wanted to find out where I can source the PCB and parts for the JUMA TRX2 Spur Elimination Option and the FL2 enhanced roofing filter.

Any information and feedback is greatly appreciated

Christoph
NE7EE
NE7EE

Re: New to me TRX2 - Advice needed regarding updates

Postby 5B4AIY » 18 Aug 2019 07:30

Hi, Christoph,
Welcome to the world of Juma Radio!

Hardware Upgrades
Spur Elimination Module
Your main board, revision 'B' will need the Spur Elimination Module if you are to take advantage of the improved receiver performance that accompanies this modification. The later board, revision 'C', incorporates this, and thus does not require any modification.

Upgraded Filter
This filter significantly enhances the receiver's performance, and is a simple plug-in modification. Unfortunately the Juma shop is temporarily closed whilst Matti and Juha find another supplier, and so you will have to wait until they have found a new supplier before you can order these kits.

Firmware Updates
Even without the Spur Elimination and Filter Upgrade the firmware of the transceiver can be easily updated to the latest revisions. I assume you are referring to my firmware updates, and in which case it is perfectly safe to simply update to the latest revision. All previous updates are incorporated into each new revision so you do not have to start from scratch and perform each update sequentially.

The upgrade will require you to download and install the Ingenia loader package and perform a simple file copy operation to update its configuration file. The package was originally written to run under Windows XP, but if you follow the installation instructions I have written, then it will also work perfectly with either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows 7, and Windows 10, I have thoroughly tested it with these versions. In order to successfully update your firmware you will need to ensure that your serial port is working correctly which will involve using a terminal program, of which there are many on the web. Equally, if you do install my firmware then you will have to re-calibrate your transceiver as one of the first enhancements I made was that of improving the measurement system. None of this is difficult, dozens of people have already loaded my firmware quite successfully, and have commented positively on the enhancements and upgrades. In my case I have been supporting this transceiver with new firmware since 2011, and have loaded new versions during the development phase literally hundreds of times without a problem, so there is no reason to think that you would have any difficulty.

Rather than attach all these files to this post, if you drop me an email I can send them to you along with some helpful notes that should allow you to transform this lovely little gem of a transceiver. You can contact me at: adrian04@cytanet.com.cy

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Re: New to me TRX2 - Advice needed regarding updates

Postby NE7EE » 19 Aug 2019 18:05

Hello Adrian,

Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it and I am so glad that there is still activity in the Juma community.

I will be in touch via email.

NE7EE
NE7EE

Return to Juma Discussion