Juma Roofing FL2

General discussion

Juma Roofing FL2

Postby HB9FIH » 13 May 2016 12:47

FL2.jpg
FL2

Just buid the FL2
Changed with the existing.
- NAR = ok like before (not qualifying now)
- MID = Sig far away, like attenuated
- WID = Sig far away, like attenuated

Checked all components - seems OK.

Is there anything to change in Setup ? or only with newer Firmware ?
I have Firmware 1.20C
vy 73 de
HB9FIH
HS0ZLS
HB9FIH

Re: Juma Roofing FL2

Postby 5B4AIY » 14 May 2016 14:38

Hi,
You will find a plot of the frequency responses of both the old and the new filter in another post of mine on this website, and that shows that the new filter is significantly narrower in both the CW and SSB modes compared with the original. To save you having to search for it, I am attaching the document to this post. In addition, the ultimate stop-band attenuation is also much better. From your description, I'm not entirely sure whether you think you have a fault.

Be aware that the roofing filter selection depends upon which mode, CW or SSB is selected. If CW is selected, then the narrow roofing filter is placed in circuit, otherwise in the SSB modes for both USB and LSB, the wide roofing filter is inserted. In either case the mid-band gain of the filter is the same as the original, and both the narrow and wide filters have a gain of unity, there is neither attenuation nor amplification. As a result, no changes in either the firmware or the calibration/setup is required, this is a straight plug-in upgrade.

Please note that the Narrow, Mid, and Wide bandwidth selections apply to the post-detection audio filtering, and have nothing to do with the Narrow or Wide roofing filter bandwidth. The roofing filter bandwidth should more properly be described as a CW or SSB mode bandwidth selection. If you think that you have a problem with the filter, you can of course compare it with the original. Since the S-meter reading is derived from the audio signal, a quick way of checking the filter's insertion gain is to tune in a steady CW carrier, for example from a local signal source, and compare the S-meter reading in the CW and SSB modes of operation. With the same audio frequency beat note in both cases, the same S-meter reading should be obtained. If the signal is severely attenuated then this points to a problem in the filter or the select switch. I would first check with a multi-meter the DC voltage at the pin 7 of IC4-B. As the filter is DC coupled, you should see +5V. If not then check pin 1 of IC4-A. Similarly you should see +5V on pins 1 and 7 of IC3, as well as pins 1 and 7 of IC1 and IC2.

If these voltages are not obtained, then carefully check that all the resistors are properly soldered and that you haven't missed a joint. This is easy to do, and most faults with the transceiver have been as a result of a missed soldered joint rather than a faulty component.

Regards, Adrian, 5B4AIY
Attachments
JUMA TRX2 ROOFING FILTERS.pdf
Frequency response of FL2 versus FL1.
(101.42 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
5B4AIY

Re: Juma Roofing FL2

Postby HB9FIH » 15 May 2016 16:01

OK Adrian
I check tomorrow, I am a bit tired from:

I made the CQ MIR Contest with JUMA TRX2A and PA100D here from TA3
(I'm in my house in TA3) - and for me successfull, (of course not in front, but ok for me)

Here my report:
http://www.hb9fih.org/?p=p_263&sName=ta ... .-mai-2016
Also ARI (Italian) Contest last weekend:
http://www.hb9fih.org/?p=p_262&sName=ta ... 8.mai-2016

Gruss Erich
vy 73 de
HB9FIH
HS0ZLS
HB9FIH

Re: Juma Roofing FL2 - resolved

Postby HB9FIH » 16 May 2016 20:34

FL2-X.jpg
this ones...
FL2-X.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 4719 times

hmm I ashamed......
3 pins of first IC in SSB part...seems like soldered - shining wonderfull but.......

TNX

Greetings from Turkey -just had a QSO with JA on 30m - with JUMA and new Filter
Attachments
FL2-Y.jpg
TNX - view from my house, shot today
vy 73 de
HB9FIH
HS0ZLS
HB9FIH

Return to Juma Discussion