Do not remember Conection PA100/TRX2A/PC

General discussion

Do not remember Conection PA100/TRX2A/PC

Postby HB9FIH » 13 Jun 2015 08:57

HI
SRI, I do not remeber how to connect PA100D TRX2A and Computer....(Juma sleeped during winter on my ship)
(next winter I'll take them with me ;) )
I used this last summer but this was 9 months ago - and unfortunally can't find my notes about this.
I use FlDigi for Digi Modes and UCXLog.

Firmware just updated - works well.

Thanks Erich
update-13:00
all done - Firmware UpDate
and Adrian's answer for connection from last year recovered....
All solved no more to do - only drive.
So I am very happy again (and still) with the combination TRX2A and PA100D
btw I also have a famouse brand TX here on the boat, but JUMA is better!
vy 73 de
HB9FIH
HS0ZLS
HB9FIH

Re: Do not remember Conection PA100/TRX2A/PC

Postby 5B4AIY » 19 Jun 2015 09:42

Hi, Erich,

There are a number of possible ways you can use the Juma TRX-2 and PA-100D with a computer. The first and simplest way is to set the PA-100D auto-band selection to the FREQUENCY SENSE mode. In this mode the incoming RF signal from the Juma TRX-2 will be measured, and the band filters automatically selected. If you are using my latest firmware then the 'SSB Relay Chatter' problem has been fixed, and the band selection is now quite stable. The only connection between the TRX-2 and the PA-100D is the RF signal lead from the TRX-2 output to the PA-100D TRX antenna input. The transmit/receive switching signal is also conveyed on this RF input cable so no external switching is required.

The second way of using the TRX-2 and PA-100D with a computer depends on what computer software you are using.

TRX-Manager by F6DEX
If you are using this software package, then the firmware of the Juma TRX-2 was modified quite some time ago to have a 'native' command set for use with this program, which also allows the PA-100D to use the serial mode automatic band select feature.

To use this setup, you will need to make yourself a special serial cable. This needs to be a 'Y' cable with the normal connections from the TRX-2 to the computer, but in addition another lead to the PA-100D from the TRX-2 transmit data to the PA-100D receive data input. In this way the PA-100D 'listens' to the TRX-2 transmit data, and extracts the necessary band information.

In this case, set the TRX-2 serial port mode to the JUMA-TRX2 mode, and also set the PA-100D serial port to the JUMA TRX-2. Also, in the User Configuration menu of the PA-100D, set the polling to OFF.

HRD/CI-Commander/Other similar packages.
In this case, you will need to use an emulation mode. The Juma TRX-2 is now equipped with the Yaesu and Kenwood emulation modes. Set the Juma TRX-2 serial port to either the Yaesu CAT or Kenwood CAT mode. The PA-100D should now be set to the FREQUENCY SENSE mode as there is no compatible internal firmware that is capable of interpreting the Yaesu binary commands/data. As for the Kenwood, see the next section.

Elecraft KX3
I updated the PA-100D firmware some time ago to include a means of connecting the Elecraft KX3 QRP transceiver to the PA-100D and incorporate auto-band selection. The Elecraft serial protocol closely 'mimics' the Kenwood protocol, at least as far as frequency selection is concerned. Therefore, since the command parser in the PA-100D will reject anything other than the FAxxxxxxxx; frequency set command, you should be able to use the 'Y' cable with this mode as well.

In other words, set the TRX-2 to Kenwood CAT, set the PA-100D to KX3 mode, use the 'Y' cable with HRD/CI-Commander etc, and the PA-100D should automatically select the desired amateur band.

Obviously, verify that all this works correctly by leaving the PA-100D in the STDBY mode first!

Finally, if you are only using the TRX-2 and PA-100D, then you should set the TRX-2 and PA-100D serial ports to the TRX-2 mode. The firmware of the TRX-2 will send a band information data packet to the PA-100D every time you change band, or when you go into transmit either in CW or SSB, so the PA-100D will always follow the TRX-2. Even if you manually select a different band, as long as there is valid data on the serial port it will over-ride a manual band selection.

The only way for the PA-100D to use a manual band selection is if the auto-band select mode is set to an 'inactive' source such as the FT-817 port with nothing connected to it. This was deliberately done so as to minimise the possibility of damage if an incorrect band was accidentally selected. But be aware that if you do use manual band selection and set the port protocol to FT-817 then it is up to you to ensure that you have correct band selected - there is nothing I can do in the firmware to protect against this sort of mistake, which is why I STRONGLY recommend always using an auto-band select mode, and, the safest is FREQUENCY SENSE.

If you need any other help, let me know, I'm always happy to assist.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Return to Juma Discussion