PA 100d replacement display

General discussion

PA 100d replacement display

Postby ve3gkn » 05 Jun 2013 11:33

I finally started to build my pa100d (hats off to the design team), but I have run into a problem with the display. There is a short to ground on pin 14 (not a result of my soldering) and would like to know if anyone can recommend a suitable replacement display- I could order one biut I don't think it would get delivered in time for me to finish/test the kit before ARRL field day. Is there something Digikey might have that would work?

thanks for any help.

73, Gord
ve3gkn

Re: PA 100d replacement display

Postby 5B4AIY » 06 Jun 2013 07:32

That's a blow! However, the display used is fairly standard, and there are a number of replacements readily available. One that you might like to consider is the Lumex LCM-S01602DSF/A, which is stocked by Digi-Key, and their part number is: 67-1758-ND. It is listed at about $14 so it's not a expensive substitution.

I have made a quick check of the machanical dimesions and pinouts, and it is the same as the original, I have also taken a quick look at the interface and control specs, and it looks as if it is the same. Most of these devices use the same controllers, and they are nearly all compatible. Obviously I haven't tried this device myself, so, I can't guarantee that it will be OK, and I would urge you to download the various data sheets and compare carefully, but it should be fine. The LCD driver routines in the PA-100D firmware are fairly straightforward, there is no complex scrolling or other clever tricks, just straight display commands. The only 'special' is the loading of the character generator RAM with some custom characters for the graphic meter display, but again this is provided for in this display as well. I would be interested to know if the temperature degree symbol I used for my firmware is the same, as I elected to define it as one of the 'special' characters loaded into the character ROM table in the original display, so if you load my firmware, check out the temperature display and verify if the degree symbol is correct. If not, then I'll make a change to correct it.

The backlighting of this display is yellow-green rather than blue. The current consumption is a little higher than the original, but this should also not really be a problem as the original design had plenty of reserve current drive available.

Finally, make sure you use the pin header/socket provided with the kit to connect the display. If you've already used this with your display, you'll have to obtain a replacement strip. These are available from a number of suppliers.

Hope this helps.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Re: PA 100d replacement display

Postby ve3gkn » 06 Jun 2013 11:52

FB, so I see this display uses a Samsung S6A0069 controller not a Hitachi, I read they are close to being the same but not quite. I'll order one up and see how it goes- usually overnight delivery here and it looks like rain for tomorrow night.....

73 and thanks, Gord
ve3gkn

Return to Juma Discussion