Juma Firmware v1.07y

General discussion

Juma Firmware v1.07y

Postby 5B4AIY » 09 Jun 2012 12:37

As a result of feedback from a number of interested amateurs, version 1.07y is now available. This is of particular interest to the US community, as this firmware now incorporates the ability to selecte either the Extra or the General Class licence band limits for the out-of-band detection.

It also fixes a minor anomaly. I had overlooked the fact that in the US you are allowed to operate on the lowere 10kHz of 160m, unlike us in Europe, but I had omitted to adjust the 160m lower limit in the previous versions, this is now fixed.

Another suggestion, this time from Jan, WI3CK, concerned the CW/CWR modes. If you wish to accurately tune a CW signal it is useful to have the same pitch in both of these modes, which involved switching between them to adjust the frequency. With the existing MODE selection method that was somewhat tedious. His suggestion was to use the FILTER button to switch back to CW from CWR. This is now incorporated with an option switch to disable this and operate as before if you do not wish to use it.

The selection of the Extra/General licence class band limits is not something that would be performed very often, and so it made more sense to relocate this option from the User Configuration to the Service module. This also has the benefit of ensuring that it does not get accidentally changed. As a result this new version will cause a checksum error on initial load, please save your existing calibration and user settings before you load this version.

The revised User Manual for this version incorporates both a quick reference guide as well as 'cheat-sheets' that you can fill in with your calibration and user settings. As before, this is NOT an official update, merely my custonisation of this little gem. You can get it by sending me an email to: adrian04@cytanet.com.cy and I'll be happy to send you the load file and the new User Manual.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Re: Juma Firmware v1.07y

Postby 5B4AIY » 15 Jun 2012 12:26

There is now a later version of this firmware available, Build 4. This fixes a bug that was brought to my attention by Jan Wieck, thanks Jan! He spotted that when you set the CW keyer mode to Straight, and wire your straight key to a mono 3.5mm plug, then during the boot sequence you will hear continuous dashes until the EEPROM data has been loaded whereupon the correct keye mode is loaded, and the spurious keying ceases. Obviously the harwdare solution is to use a stereo 3.5mm plug, and wire the tip and sleeve connections to your straight key, and leave the ring connection open. Nevertheless the firmware fix was easy, and so this build corrects this anomaly. Anyone requesting this firmware will automatically receive at least Build 4. If you have already loaded Build 3 or earlier build of revision 1.07y, then this build will not cause a checksum error, so you will not have to save your calibration and configuration settings.

However, if you ARE updating from any earlier versions or from the original, then you will receive a checksum error on intial start-up and will have to re-calibrate your transceiver. If you are using one of my earlier versions, please make a note of at least your calibration settings.

If you are updating from one of the original Juma firmware versions, sorry guys, but the measurement system is so different now that your earlier calibration settings are not compatible, and you will simply have to go through the calibration procedure for the voltmeter, ammeter, power meter, and S-meter once again.

73, Adrian, 5B4AIY
5B4AIY

Return to Juma Discussion